|Home Description How to Use Testimonials Buy Online Retailers Wholesale In the News Blog Helpful Links|
Top 10 Breastfeeding Tips for Working Moms
By Lois Whittaker
Owner, Cushie Pushie Company
Being a mom and breastfeeding is a very important job and hard work for both new and experienced moms. You are providing vital nutrients to your precious bundles of joy. Add in a full-time job, and it sometimes seems a bit overwhelming. As a fellow working mom and someone who breastfeed her two boys, you can be successful and here are ten breastfeeding tips for working moms to help:
- Get lots of rest– You’ll be tempted to try to do too much as the overachiever you probably are.
- Drink lots of water & eat right – Put a big sports bottle of water and ice at your desk and finish it by lunch then another by the time you leave work. Break away from your desk to eat a healthy lunch.
- Schedule pumping time on your calendar – Make an appointment with your breast pump. If it’s not on your calendar people will think you are free and schedule you.
- Network – Whether it be from a good friend, parenting website, breastfeeding group, or lactation consultant, if you need help ask. They can give tons of suggestions you’d never think of on your own.
- Get Comfortable – Whether it’s while nursing your baby or pumping, you need to find spot where both you and your baby can be comfortable. Scout out a private location at work where you can pump. Put a sign on the door to keep others out, so you can pump without being interrupted if needed.
- Ask about Flex Time and Alternative Work Schedules – If you don’t ask, your work will not offer it. Maybe you can go back to work part-time initially or work new hours that would better align with your babies’ feeding schedule. Ask about telecommuting if it’s available and would work for your job.
- Try to Find A Daycare Close to Work – You could pop over quick “lunch” for baby.
- Get the Right Tools – Don’t skimp on a breast pump. This will be a huge part of your life and you need one that is comfortable and can do the job. Buy a good one or rent one. Get a good nursing pillow, nursing bra and breast support pillow to help make your life easier.
- Don’t Give Up - Stress from juggling work and family, can cause you to quit before you would like to. Don’t give up, you can do this!!!
- Relax, be flexible, AND ENJOY – Make breastfeeding a personal experience and adapt as you need. What works for one may not work for another. Just find your nursing groove and relax because you are providing your baby a precious gift. Enjoy the experience of snuggling with your baby as you feed him.